Spring is in full bloom, which means summer relaxing and grilling season is just around the corner! Get the exterior of your home ready for guests (and possible severe weather) with this simple home maintenance checklist.
- Perform a complete visual inspection. Winter can take a real toll on your roof, siding, Fairfax VA replacement windows and more, so start with a complete visual inspection of the exterior of your home. If you notice items that appear to be damaged or out of place, call for a professional inspection.
- Clean out gutters. To keep water moving smoothly away from your home, where it can cause serious water damage, clean leaves and debris out of the gutters and downspouts. Rinse the gutter system with a garden hose to check for leaks.
- Wash windows. Clean all windows, inside and out, with water and a mild dish detergent. If the screens were removed from windows and doors prior to the winter, clean them and replace for warm weather use.
- Clean siding. Use a mild cleaning solution to clean most types of siding, including vinyl and fiber cement. A water-and-vinegar solution makes a great all-purpose cleanser that removes light mold and mildew stains from siding.
- Clean patio furniture. Use the same soap-and-water solution you use to clean windows on most types of outdoor patio furniture. Wipe with soapy water, rinse with a hose and allow to dry.
- Get an A/C tune-up. A professional tune-up will get your cooling unit ready to stand up to the worst summer heat. The technician will clean the coils and make sure it is properly charged. This ensures your system operates at maximum energy efficiency and decreases utility costs.
- Spruce up the lawn. Rake up leaves and debris, rinse off decks and patios, and ensure sprinkler systems are turned on and in working order. Apply a pre-emergent herbicide to your lawn to prevent weeds.
Subscribe to Roofing & More Inc.'s Blog