A home’s outdoor space can be one of its best attributes, especially if utilized effectively. Whether you have a deck, patio or balcony, you can take steps to maximize your outdoor living area and enjoy your space all year long.
- Arrange seating around the perimeter. Spread out your furniture along the edges of your outdoor area for a more spacious feeling. For a cohesive look, opt for a matching set of couches and chairs. Several smaller seating areas, like a bistro set, a lounge chair or built-in benches, can also be used to create perimeter seating.
- Plan for foot traffic. An outdoor space that flows well will seem more open. Use outdoor rugs or solar lighting to define walkways in your space. Hardscapes, like stones or pavers, can be utilized to connect areas of your yard in a stylish manner.
- Invest in flexible furniture. Furniture that has more than one purpose can go a long way in a small outdoor space. Ottomans can double as footrests or extra seating, while a buffet table can showcase potted plants when it’s not being used for entertaining. Outdoor furniture sets with built-in storage are also available to help corral your belongings.
- Go vertical. If space is tight, consider your options for vertical seating, storage and decorations to make your outdoor living area seem larger. A hanging hammock chair or a swing keeps the floor clear, creating an airier look. A tall buffet or cabinet allows you to store all of your outdoor accessories in one place and a vertical hanging garden adds greenery to your space while also providing privacy.
- Be ready for any weather. You can use your outdoor living space during all seasons of the year with a little planning. Install a fan, hang a canopy or build a gazebo to provide shade during the hot summer months. When the weather turns cooler, light up a fire pit or turn on an outdoor heater for a cozy night outside.
Talk to the Home Improvement Experts
Are you interested in boosting curb appeal and improving the efficiency of your home with a new roof, siding, gutters or replacement windows? Roofing & More, Inc. is Northern Virginia’s home improvement leader. Call us at (571) 410-0274 or complete our convenient online quote request form for a free in-home consultation and estimate on your next project!
Subscribe to Roofing & More Inc.'s Blog