When it comes time to have professional improvements made to your home, it's crucial to select an experienced contractor who can deliver the quality workmanship and materials you need for a reasonable price, without endangering your home and finances. Remember: an uneducated consumer who is only looking for the lowest price is the easiest target for an unscrupulous Northern Virginia roofing contractor. Be sure to complete these following five steps, and you’ll be well on your way to a smooth and trouble-free home improvement experience.
- Inspect. Do your own visual inspection of your home and you’ll be better prepared to discuss your findings and vision with the contractor.
- Learn. A little knowledge is a good thing! Learn about roofing, siding, windows, doors or any other improvement you are considering before you get in front of the contractor. Knowing basic features and options will prepare you to make the best decision for your needs without feeling rushed.
- Ask. Don’t feel shy about requesting proof of important coverage that will protect you from financial liability in the event of property damage or worker injury. Ask the contractor to provide you with proof of insurance and call the insurance company to verify the certificate is valid. This is important. If an uninsured crew causes damage to your home or an uninsured worker is injured while working on your project, you are liable.
- Investigate. Check certifications and licenses. There are different levels of licensing. Make sure your contractor is properly licensed and certified in your area to do the work you need.
- Get it in writing. Get all agreements with the contractor you select in writing to avoid unwanted and potentially costly surprises.
TagsNorthern Virginia windows roof repair northern virginia roofing northern virginia siding northern virginia
Subscribe to Roofing & More Inc.'s Blog