Sometimes it’s hard to know when to make repairs to your roof or to just give in and replace it. It’s important to not be too eager in replacing your roof because it’s not a cheap remodel, but it can also cost you a lot more money in the long run if you wait too long to replace it. [company_name]. can help you know what to look for when it comes to your Northern Virginian roof repairs and replacements.What to Look for Indoors There are some signs to look for indoors that will tell you if there is significant damage on your roof that will help you determine if you need roof work done:
- Is there any discoloration from water leaks on your walls or ceiling?
- Check your attic for water stains on the rafters or underside of the roof decking.
- Is there any light visible in your darkened attic? Look near that area for water stains.
- Have you seen a gradual increase in your energy costs over the last 5-10 years?
The National Roofing Contractors Association (NRCA) suggests you do a roof ‘checkup’ every spring and fall. The NRCA gives you three things to look for when inspecting your roof:
- Shingles that are buckling, curling or blistering; this indicates the end of the shingles' life expectancy.
- Loose material or wear around chimneys, pipes and other penetrations.
- Excessive amounts of shingle granules in your gutters; granules give shingles added weight and protect them from ultraviolet rays.
- Ponds of water or stained areas on flat roofs? Is roofing material pulling away from the penetrations or walls?
- Blistered paint near attic walls or siding decay may indicate poor attic ventilation.
- Dark or dirty looking areas. These may come from fungus or vegetation growing on your roof.
- At worst, dips in your roof may mean there is rotting in your decking or rafters.
If you find any of the warning signs mentioned above then it’s best to call a professional roofing company. Make sure to do your research before hiring a professional. You can find a guideline for choosing a residential roofing contractor on the NRCA website here. (add link below)
Or contact Roofing & More, Inc. for a free consultation and estimate on your Northern Virginian residential roof. We can help you know if a few repairs are all that’s needed or we will work to get you the best price possible on a replacement roof. Let us help you make your vision for your home come true!
Subscribe to Roofing & More Inc.'s Blog