Although the calendar still reads fall, freezing temperatures and winter chill have already arrived in Northern Virginia. However, the early cold weather may be just the motivation you need to get your home ready for winter! Follow these tips to reduce energy bills and improve indoor comfort all winter long.
- Inspect the roof and gutters. Visually inspect your roof for damage to shingles and metal flashings. If you find a problem, call a professional Fairfax, VA, roofing contractor for an inspection. Be sure gutters are clear of leaves and debris to avoid clogs and ice build-up.
- Check attic insulation. Since warm air rises, a poorly insulated attic can be one of the biggest culprits in winter heat loss. If you can see ceiling joists, you don’t have enough insulation in the attic. Ask your roofing contractor to add enough to reach the R-value recommended by the U.S. Department of Energy.
- Service the furnace. Have a professional clean and inspect your furnace system for maximum efficiency. Dirty air filters slow air flow and reduce the efficiency of the unit; make sure they are changed.
- Plug the gaps. On the exterior, seal cracks, gaps and holes with caulk. Use weatherstripping or caulk around drafty windows, doors and even electrical outlets. Windows and doors can allow up to 30% of your energy to be lost. If yours are a problem, talk to Roofing & More about our current specials on replacement doors and replacement windows in Fairfax, VA.
- Trim back branches. Trim back branches that brush against the roof or could fall on the roof under the weight of snow and ice.
- Reverse ceiling fans. Don’t forget to reverse your ceiling fans to redirect warm air back down into living areas.
Subscribe to Roofing & More Inc.'s Blog