If you’re thinking about giving the exterior of your home a valuable upgrade, then choosing the right material for the siding must be a top priority. There are many siding materials available on the market, each with its own unique advantages and drawbacks. Today, we’ll compare James Hardie® fiber cement siding and fiber-reinforced plastic (FRP) and share some key points you should consider.
Fiber-Reinforced Plastic: Pros & Cons
This type of material is composed of thin, flexible plastic panels made of strong polyester resin reinforced with fiberglass. Typically used on walls and ceilings, the surface of FRP is resistant to scratches and mold growth. The other advantages of this material are:
- It can be easily cleaned with detergents and high-pressure washers.
- It has a lightweight and flexible panel that makes it easy to install.
- Some products have improved chemical resistance.
- It rarely corrodes.
The biggest drawback of FRP is its high initial cost. And while siding companies have many styles available, you may be limited in the thicknesses and finishes you can choose from.
James Hardie® Siding: Pros & Cons
Hardie board siding, manufactured by James Hardie, is a type of fiber cement siding. This siding is becoming increasingly popular for use on homes and commercial buildings. The product line comes in a variety of colors and textures, giving customers an abundance of design options. In fact, Hardie siding has a long list of advantages.
- Longevity is one of the hottest selling points of James Hardie siding. It offers great resistance to rot, insects, fire and even storm-driven hail since the material is made of 90% sand and cement. It usually comes with a 30-year limited warranty.
- The customizable appearance of Hardie siding allows the material to mimic cedar shingles and wood shake siding, among others. The paint finish also comes with a 15-year warranty.
James Hardie siding is incredibly weather-resistant and low-maintenance, allowing you to save on upkeep in the long run. Roofing & More is more than happy to help you enhance your home’s exterior and your family’s comfort. Call us today at (703) 467-0206 or fill out this contact form to request siding service. Our service area includes Alexandria, Fairfax, McLean and other towns in Northern Virginia.