Short of entirely covering your roof with plants and soil, there are many things you can do around the house to “go green” by saving energy and making a smaller impact on the environment. Here are some eco-friendly choices to consider for roofing in northern Virginia:
• “Cool” shingles. Modern reflective technology is featured in products such as GAF Timberline® Cool Series shingles that combine high performance with great curb appeal. Highly reflective shingles can help to reduce temperatures in your attic, so your home will stay cooler in the summer and require less air conditioning. The installation of such products may also qualify you for a federal tax credit.
• Recycled-content shingles are made from recycled waste materials, such as plastic, rubber or wood fiber. This keeps waste out of landfills and reduces the use of natural resources, which in turn lowers energy consumption and reduces pollution.
• 50-year asphalt shingles, such as the GAF Timberline® series, can last 2-3 times longer than a standard shingle, making them an eco-friendly choice. GAF Advanced Protection® shingles are specially engineered to be lighter and stronger than the average shingle, yet use less asphalt and limestone and require less fuel to transport.
• Increased attic insulation. The EPA estimates that homeowners can save up to 20% of heating and cooling costs (or up to 10% of total energy costs) by adding insulation in the attic and air-sealing other vulnerable areas.
• Proper attic ventilation. No matter the season, a well-ventilated attic maintains high energy efficiency and saves money. During the summer, the temperature in an improperly ventilated attic can skyrocket, with all that heat radiating to the lower living spaces. Poor ventilation during the winter traps moisture in the attic, and can contribute to ice damming on the outside of the roof.
There are many eco-friendly roofing products to choose from, so compare your options carefully. For more information about “green” roofing choices, or to schedule a FREE roofing estimate, call Roofing & More at (877) 398-4555.