Often, the best advice I give to homeowners is “know when to hire a professional.” Usually this means recognizing the point at which you can no longer handle a job yourself without increasing costs and creating the risk of more damage. Unfortunately, many people don’t know where to start when looking for a good roofing contractor.
Finding a Roofing Contractor
The first step to finding a good roofing contractor involves a bit of research. Ask neighbors, friends or family for recommendations based on the service you need. Read online reviews on several different platforms – Facebook, Google, Yelp, etc. The best reviews don’t always mean you’ve found the right contractor for you, but this process will save you from stress by eliminating some of the potential for a bad experience in the beginning.
What You Should Look For in a Roofing Contractor
Once you have a few different recommendations, it’s time to start asking the right questions to find which contractor will give you the best service and experience:
- Is the company local? Is their licensing and insurance up-to-date? For safe and ethical practices, ask your contractor or check with the Better Business Bureau to be sure they are up-to-date on all licensing, permits and liability insurance.
- What is their process for receiving the estimate? You don’t want to be waiting weeks for a phone call, or to be constantly playing phone tag with your contractor when waiting for an estimate or to schedule an appointment.
- What is their process for the installation portion and the final walkthrough portion?
- What’s their process should there be an issue? What if there is an issue during install or after? Whether it’s a week or two years? Do they have great customer service during and after the agreement is signed?
- Are there hidden costs and fees? Before signing an agreement, review it carefully and make sure you agree with everything and that it is in writing.
- What is their process for scheduling and getting started should you hire them? Find out how long it will take for the project to begin, what procedures they have in place to protect your home throughout the project and how long it will take overall.
You will notice that I mentioned the company’s “process” many times. A great contractor should have these processes in place to guarantee they are serving you – the customer, and their team well. Carefully designed processes will ensure a win-win for you and for them! It’s all about not only having a “process,” but making sure it’s the right one to give you the best results and experience.
For more information about Roofing & More, call us today at (703) 828-1620.