SELECTING A HOME CONTRACTOR THAT IS RIGHT FOR YOU
When it comes to repairing or improving your home, a qualified professional contractor can get the job done properly, faster and with less hassle than trying to do it yourself. But many homeowners hesitate simply because they are not sure which contractor will do the best job, at the best price.
Knowing what qualities to look for in a contractor can help you judge which one is right for your home, your lifestyle and your project. Here are 10 tips on choosing the right home contractor for your Northern Virginia home.
1. Find out how long the contractor has been in business. It’s best to look for an established company with a good reputation and clean track record. Make sure there are no unresolved complaints with the Better Business Bureau.
2. Ask for a list of recently completed projects that are similar to the one you are planning. This is especially critical for complex work like roofing. Hiring a contractor that is experienced in projects similar to yours will help to ensure that all will go smoothly and that the job will be done correctly.
3. Make sure that a contractor is licensed. All home improvement contractors are required to be licensed by the state before performing any work in Virginia. Ask to see the contractor’s license prior to hiring him/her for the job.
4. Insist on a written estimate AND a written agreement on pricing and payment terms. Have the agreement signed and notarized. All parties involved should have a copy of the agreement for future reference.
5. Prior to the commencement of work, ask the contractor whether or not the job will require any type of permit. All permits must be obtained before the actual work begins or the homeowner may face a fine. It is best to discuss who will be responsible for obtaining permits, you or the contractor, up front.
6. Make sure your contractor is certified by the manufacturers of the materials and products he/she will use on your home. Unless the contractor is factory-certified any manufacturer warranty is likely to be null and void, leaving you holding the bag for any product or material failure in the future.
7. Every professional contractor should carry insurance coverage, including personal liability, property damage and worker’s compensation. Request copies of all insurance certificates and confirm that they are current before allowing work to begin. Do not do business with a contractor who cannot provide this documentation as this may result in your being held liable for any injuries or damages that occur during the project.
8. Check the contractor’s references before deciding to hire him/her for your project. Talking with previous customers will give you a sense of the contractor’s work ethic, reliability and end results.
9. Get the name of the project supervisor who will be in charge of the project and the names of those who will be working on the construction crew. Obtain the cell phone number of the business owner and the supervisor in case you need to reach them during the project. Calling an office number does you no good at night or on weekends, and most contractors are on jobsites during the day.
10. Take time to meet with the supervisor and find out more about the crew who will do the work. They will be in and out of your home for several days and you want to be comfortable and able to trust them.
Make the right call by choosing Roofing & More as your contractor!
Call us at (703) 467-0206 or click to schedule a FREE in-home consultation and estimate. Let us help you make your vision for your home come true!